Wednesday 15 June 2011

Post Cruise Blues

So back to sitting in the garden and feeling rather low. Not primarily because the cruise is over but because some of the things which were getting difficult before the cruise are now impossible. There is an element of 'use it or lose it' with this. In any event you're going to lose it but refraining from something for a week or more will accelerate it.


In my indoor wheelchair I had been able, albeit with great difficulty, to pivot my right forearm upwards at the elbow, allowing me to use my strategically placed tissue to wipe my nose or scratch an itch on my face. I haven't been able to do this for some time on the outdoor wheelchair because of subtle differences in armrest positioning. So having been unable to do this action for 2 weeks, I have lost the ability permanently now I am back in the indoor chair. So when I have a coughing episode which causes my eyes to water (and subsequently sting like hell), saliva to run down my chin and chest and snot to stream from my nose, I have to wait for someone to clean me up and if I time it badly, it could be an hour or two.

Similarly the variation in joystick positioning meant that for 2 weeks the tiny amount of strength remaining in whichever muscle I used to turn left on the indoor wheelchair has gone completely. Finally I can no longer turn on my side in bed. Again, maybe this ability would have been lost over the next month or two but not being able to do it for 2 weeks has accelerated the process. Last night I woke feeling a little short of breath but was unable to turn on my side or even move enough to reach the bed control to raise the bed. I can't think of any solutions. I am also nervous about using the ventilation equipment alone in case I have a coughing episode.

I am running out of solutions to the problems, partly because solutions don't exist but also because I am running out of the will to find them; a situation which I find more difficult cope with than the actual problem.
 
.

4 comments:

Pollyanna said...

You poor thing, Steve, it must all be very frightening. These are the sort of things we all fear as the disesase wreaks it's havoc on us. I hope you can get some help. x

Anonymous said...

Hi Steve,

Thanks for sharing pictures and diary of the cruise. Sounds fantastic and has really made me want to go on one.

Coming back from holiday is always hard but so so so much harder for you if coming back has highlighted what is so difficult and impossible for you to do now.

John and I always read your blog, theres lots i want to say but after typing the words I always feel that it sounds either patronising, too superficial or somehow wrong! Sorry for that so I'm taking the plunge now.

Keep doing the blog, you write extremely well and it provides an invaluable insight into the disease that you are dealing with. What a cruel disease it is.

Brenda x

Anonymous said...

Steve - I am so pleased that you were able to enjoy the cruise as much as you did - and that it gave you so much freedom and space to get about, albeit somewhat reduced from last year. I guess it was always going to be a shock coming back home. And, having read all your further comments - to have all the extra blows to deal with (loss of various physical abilities and the dreadful psychological blow of not being allowed to care for your boys on your own), I can appreciate how hard things must be now.

Thanks so much for explaining to us how you are feeling, as otherwise we would hardly have any concept of what you are going through. Your blog is a very generous gift to us all.

I look forward to our trip to Goodwood with Adrian this coming Saturday. Button better deliver! I'll also make sure I bring my proper camera this year. I know you don't think much of my navigation skills (!), but if you are having trouble with your joystick again, hope you can entrust me to take over in that department!

Adam
x

Anonymous said...

Still trying to leave a comment Steve, so you know I really do read read your blog! Caroline