Sunday 6 February 2011

No Laughs Here I'm Afraid

I have always tried to tell it like it is on the blog. And this entry won't be any different. Although, other than venting on here I don't constantly bitch about things, I also won't just answer "fine" if someone asks how I'm doing. I will tell them it straight and if they would rather not know, they won't ask again. I was asked this question last night by friends we had over, and despite spending 5 minutes writing my answer, it still only brushed the surface of my current outlook on life. So this blog entry is what I am going to refer anybody who asks in the foreseeable future.

I am sorry that it somewhat destroys the image many of you have of me; coping with MND with stoicism, unbeatable determination and spirit. The fact is at the moment I have simply had enough. Nothing dramatic has changed, not even anything significant enough to affect my Functional Rating Score (FRS), but subtle changes in several areas have had a compounded effect. The FRS is what I and the medical profession use to measure the disease's progression. When diagnosed in 2007 I had a score of 46 out of 48. Last January it was at 28 and this January it is 13. Technically it is possible to be alive with a score of zero but I also know people (one personally) who died with a score in the mid twenties.


The fact that I am writing this while Tracy and the boys are out dog walking with friends exposes the first significant new problem; insufficient strength to use the controller on my outdoor wheelchair, the singularly most important bit of equipment after the eyegaze system. Trying to find a solution such as a lighter controller has proved impossible so far, and looking at replies to emails you would think I had asked to land my wheelchair on Mars. This could well prove to be easier. My enthusiasm for pursuing it further is running out in the knowledge that any solution will cost several grand, take two months to get and will be unsuitable two months later.

Our cruise isn't for another 4 months and I should be looking forward to it but the thought of having to be pushed around by the carer everywhere is simply horrible.

I won't be able to take myself out when the weather improves, a situation which I had suspected in October would happen. Other developments are less obviously significant. Movement in bed has almost completely disappeared. I can no longer drag hands up to rest on my chest, which is the most comfortable position to go to sleep. I woke last night a little short of breath and felt almost completely paralysed, I couldn't even move my head to operate the backrest recline control with my nose.

Being put to bed at 9-30pm, often before even the boys have gone up makes me feel like I am living in an old people's home, or like a naughty boy sent to bed early.  It was my decision to have external carers and I am still of that view, and the disadvantages are outweighed by the benefits for both me and Tracy.

We had friends over last night, we don't see them very often and it was nice to see them but I can't pretend I enjoyed it, I just don't seem to be able to 'make the best of it' anymore and being forced to go to bed two hours before they left actually seemed an easier option. Seeing Daniel giggling with excitement as David ran around with him on his shoulders should have made me happy, but I just felt bitter that it wasn't my shoulders he was on.

If you are reading this David, its my problem, not yours; so don't not do it next time.

But the sum effect of everything is difficult to bear at the moment as I just can't focus on much that's positive. Since starting writing this an hour ago, 50 people in the UK have died. Some will have been sick or old but others will be younger than me and will have got out of bed this morning, expecting to be getting in it again tonight. So I guess I should be grateful that today I am not one of them, and at this precise moment I am, but sometimes these days I am not always so sure. And the thought of in the near future having a ventilation mask, requiring two carers to move me and losing the final ten percent of any muscle strength doesn’t give me much reason to expect anything different.

11 comments:

Becky said...

You don't owe anyone any laughs, Steve. (The fact that you can still provide them through this blog on a regular basis though is, frankly, astounding.) Nor do you need to feel that you should play the role of stoic, uncomplaining survivor (although the way you and Tracy appear to have handled everything since your diagnosis is nothing short of awe-inspiring). If anyone is entitled to bitch, you are. You *should* be out running with the dogs, you *should* be swinging the boys from your shoulders ... The fact that you can't is wrong, unjust, f*cked up ... and, as hard as it is to hear you express your pain, I am so glad that you have an outlet for it. Keep telling it like it is and we will keep listening.

Lots and lots and lots of love

xxx

Deirdre said...

What can I say? It is unbelievably crap for you now. I appreciate your honesty. I can't say this blog entry surprises me but I am sorry things are bad. Thanks for your comments - I always look forward to opening up my blog and seeing you there. You don't want to hear it and you won't believe it, but you are an inspiration.

Kevin Connell said...

Steve, every part of the journey is important and sharing the difficult times means others get a better picture of our lives and why ALSucks. You are a hero to many, especially your family. Sometimes just getting to tomorrow is an accomplishment, forget the style points.

Pollyanna said...

Steve, what can I say? I cried... I cried for you and the s**t that you have to contend with, I cried for me, 'knowing' that this is what I am facing and...........I also, cried for the guilt I feel that I can speak and you can't. No mmatter what I have to deal with nothing can be as bad as not being able to communicate properly; not being able to participate in a conversation whereby you can respond, immediately, to what has been said.
I had a hospice counsellor round today and could tell her, verbally, how I feel. It just can't be the same for you trying to get your points across with the eyegazer.
I, also, hope that you can get hold of a passive controller, and quick.
See you next week.xxx

Anonymous said...

I don't know who Becky is but she couldn't have said it better. Say it like it is... With love to you all, Anna P

Graham said...

Still reading your blogs mate
Don't ever apologise for speaking your mind.
We don't care if you want to shout, scream or curse!
F*ck it, swear if you want to, it is your perogative, hey you might even sound as funny as me, when I say " f?*kin' hell"
take care mate
Graham

christine.shipway said...

I can't think of anything better to add. If you don't have the right to be angry, frustrated and generally pissed off then nobody does. I had been feeling sorry for myself as I've got a chest infection - how trivial. reading your blogs always reminds me of what is important in this world. I've always known how unfair life is but your situation says that more than anything else I know. You have been so amazing through this and reading your blogs is always an inspiration. Love as always to you and the family. Christine

Adam Gault said...

Christ Steve - Adam here.

I hope you're sitting down... fuck it, of course you're sitting down... seen as this the first time I've commented on your blog and read it prior to seeing you!

Your blog opens up your world for us, honesty is essential, and very much appreciated. It shows some considerable strength of character on your part Steve to be able to share this with us. Thank you for that. Please say it as it is, how you feel it, in the way you want to communicate it.

We are very sad to hear that things have deteriorated such that you have to be pushed about when outdoors, another freedom taken from you - we feel for you. Hope something goes your way and you get that controller and sooner than you expect. You have a lot of discomforts to put up with, and with limited ability to voice them I understand your frustrations.

I'm so proud of you, and love you mate - see you tomorrow

Adam

KB said...

Thanks for expressing that so beautifully, Steve. I share those thoughts. It's the little opt outs that are the hardest but I hope for you as for me, it is only one truth. We are brave, strong willed, feisty blighters but we are also sad, worried, physically weak and tired and a whole myriad of shades between. Good Luck

Anonymous said...

usually your blog stuns me with all the attributes you mentioned. Theyre re still your attributes. Surely it's okay to have a week off being brave and witty. I hope you can gather some emotional strength and come back and get the bastard disease with a clever pun or funny witticism and then you will be winning again. We appreciate your honesty. Don't keep it to yourself. Love, Laura

R said...

Hiya, sorry you not so good today, came here via Rachael.

Driving wheelchair - have you tried one of these yet? If needs be it's possible to drive with eyegaze or a scanning switch.

I do my bed controls with scanning switch and environmental control box, can also dial phone and page personal assistant (support worker) if needed.

I have Direct Payments, that means that instead of the council sending round carers, they work out a budget for me and I employ them myself. Amongst many other good things (it's a fantastic system and I love it), no more unwelcomely early bedtimes - 3 days a week they do til 11 'cos that's what suits me.