Thursday 24 February 2011

Awareness

I have made a decision. I am going to sort out this awareness issue. I have banged on about this before but I think something has to change. Awareness won't cure MND directly but with better awareness there is more chance of raising funds which will fund research, which WILL result in a cure - one day. Also and almost as importantly MND sufferers will get immense satisfaction from seeing their plight brought to the masses. No longer will we have to sit in our wheelchairs, paralysed, tube fed and silent while we watch campaigns and hear about scientific breakthroughs in cancer MS or HIV. Of course many more people are directly and indirectly affected by these illnesses but for the 4500 of us MND sufferers in the UK, that fact is irrelevant.


The MNDA has limited funds and can only allocate a small percentage to awareness campaigns. My viewpoint on their previous campaigns is likely to upset the parties involved but I see no point in everyone patting each other on the back when nothing is improving. One campaign featured an advert with an acted MND sufferer being thrown around the room by an invisible force and losing clothing in the process, leaving her at the end, sitting in a wheelchair in her underwear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b-h_XBArC4&eurl=http://www.sarahsstory.org.uk/&feature=player_embedded


The fact that I didn't feel it represented what MND is like to suffer is irrelevant, but the fact that it was considered by the censors to be to be unsuitable for TV transmission and only got limited exposure in some cinemas, meant it was a missed opportunity. Last year's campaign called the Incurable Optimist was a web based campaign as well as billboard posters.

http://www.mndassociation.org/news_and_events/awareness_campaigns/incurable_optimism/incurable_optimism.html

I liked the campaign, and Patrick, like Sarah in the other campaign are remarkable, inspiring people. I am not criticising them for a second, but I suspect that the only people that have heard of them, noticed the campaign at the time or can recall it now are MND patients. And we are perfectly well aware already, thanks.

So what is the plan. There needs to be an ongoing campaign and there is only one way to get people to notice and that is a powerful TV advert. I know this is ambitious, but I don't believe it's impossible. At this stage I don't have many details but preliminary research suggests that if you avoid the absolute prime slots, you can get a 30 second slot on ITV1 for between 2500 and 5000. If you go with ITV2, 3 or 4 the costs (obviously as are viewers) are significantly lower.

http://www.itvmedia.co.uk/assets/itvmedia/content/downloadables/spot%20costs%20-%20itv%20media%20-%20itv1%20and%20multichannel%20-%20feb%202010.pdf


Its not cheap but look at it like this. If everyone in the UK with MND contributed £10 a month it would raise around £500k per annum. I appreciate that for some people would not be able to afford it, but then again most patients will have friends and family that would also contribute. Surely it would be possible to get 5-7000 contributors. This could fund an advert 3 times a week during the early evening. Sure, it isn't going to saturate the airwaves but it would be a vast improvement on the current situation.

All this is embryonic now; I have some good ideas for a powerful advert and I might know someone that can make it. I don't know if commercial TV advertising departments would accept such a diluted schedule or how to contact the potential contributors.

Maybe this is unrealistic, I don't know but I am frustrated that since being diagnosed, nothing has changed. I haven't heard it mentioned on TV, let alone a feature on it! The only references I can think of are comic references to Stephen Hawking, which leads me back to an earlier entry. In business you learn that outcomes never change if your strategy remains the same and this is no different. MND has been known about for over 80 years but because of relatively low levels of research there still isn't a single drug that has any real impact. If nothing changes I can't see that anything other than minimal benefit treatments for the foreseeable future.


I would be interested in everybody's opinions and advice.
.
.
.

4 comments:

Pollyanna said...

Hi Steve
I, for one, agree with most of what you have to say. Not sure about the advert though. Having an advert appear once a month or so, maybe, but there is a saturation point with these things.
I definitely agree re Sarah's ad; way over the top and hardly relevant. Patrick is doing his best. My contribution is to try (operative word) to video myself reciting my poems, post them on You tube and invite donations if they like them. Small fry, I know but, hey, 'from little acorns' and all that....
However, all of this is showing that MND people may have a talent; it is not showing your avergae 'Jo Bloggs' and what it is doing to him. What we need is a decent documentary.
xx

Liam Dwyer said...

Steve
I think if you feel so strongly about doing something like this you should work closely with the MND Association. They have a lot of very experienced people in this field and I am sure they would let you lead this your way.
The campaigns they run don’t just last for short periods. I know Sara is always tweeting it on twitter and most people who have a interest in MND will retweet it as well. As for Patrick this is ongoing with his painting as they are still continuing.
The Joel Cadbury led campaign, “David Carleton Paget (DCP) Wheelchair Service”, was set up for money to be put into wheelchairs only because he felt so strongly about his uncle’s situation. I am sure a separate fund could be set up for people to raise money if they wanted it to go into advertising.

Steve Evans said...

the trouble is that the only people that have heard of sarah or patrick or know anything about MND, are people directly affected by it. I am convinced that if you asked 1000 people in the street, not one of them would have heard of them, and the handful of people who knew anything about MND would be people who knew someone with it or were in the medical profession . Saying that, even many medical professionals including GPs know next to nothing about it. It is a massive problem and nothing is changing.

christine.shipway said...

i've read this with interest (having previously worked in marketing for 10 years). It is very easy for people closely involved to think that their campaign is effective because THEY understand it. Although I now know more about MND because of Steve I have never noticed any MND marketing campaigns. The only public awareness is Steven Hawking - who is seen as a caricature.Sarah and Patrick are a mystery to me. With all additional digital channels TV advertising is much more accesible than it used to be. Good luck - I would be happy to make a contribution to a campaign