Saturday 17 September 2011

My latest invention

I have always struggled to find places to locate buttons where they are easily accessible but not able to be pushed by accident. This was particularly important for my new eyegaze reset switch. My eyegaze system is generally quite reliable, but occasionally something happens which stops me controlling it with my eyes and I have to rely on someone to restart it. If this happens when I am alone, I am completely stuck. So I now have a USB Box which I can connect a standard button to and it will restart Windows. But I didn't want the button getting pressed by accident, resetting everything. So I have made this additional control box.



My device will work with any button using the usual 3.5mm connection. It goes between the button and the device which it control and it only activates the device if the button is pressed 5 times within 7 seconds (this rule worked for me but it could be something different). I now have a button on the bed footboard and wheelchair headrest with which I can easily (but not too easily) reset the computer. Although the concept of the device was mine, my friend Chris has to take the credit for making the circuitry and packaging it so neatly.

3 comments:

Janet said...

What a neat idea -do you need to patent it ? and I thought Patrick the optimist was the inventor ? looks like he has some competition !

Pollyanna said...

Just goes to show, Steve - 'needs must', when you have MND. Iam constantly having to think of new ways to do thinggs; though,perhaps, not so inventively. Well done !

Rachel Ridley said...

What a simple but brilliant solution.....Dragons Den next?