Sunday 29 May 2011

The Cruise 2011 Day 2

Jake drew the short straw of sleeping in my room last night. Or rather he was bribed with an extra ten dollars on his arcade gaming card for 'volunteering'. It turned out to be a pretty good deal as to Jake's surprise I wasn't as high maintenance as he expected, in fact he didn't even have to scratch my nose. Needless to say Daniel and Luke are now competing for tonight's shift.


So the three main things I was worried about on the cruise were sleeping, wheelchair operation and using the loo. I will spare you the details on the latter other than to say it was possible. The sleeping, based on one night, seems to be OK. I supervised the rearranging of beds, and with the bed guards I procured on ebay, managed to replicate the setup at home. This meant I wasn't stranded on my back. The wheelchair operation however, is proving difficult. Not impossible, but very difficult. Although I can travel short distances indepenently, manouvering in tight spaces is very tricky. And even the trip from the cabin to the pool deck is exhausting, so just touring the ship for something to do is not an option this year, which is a shame.

This is the first of two days at sea en route to the first stop Gibraltar, so the view from my blogging spot is of uninterrupted ocean with just the occasional oil tanker to break the monotony. The boys have already done many of the activities that were spread over several days last year. Obviously this time there isn't the surprise or novelty factor for them, so combined with the extra four days, I just hope boredom doesn't set in on day four!

Tonight we are going to the captain's reception, after which Daniel has a full evening itinerary planned for me and him. I hope I can manage it. I am so much more tired than last year; I can't see me at the crazy golf at midnight this year.

2 comments:

christine.shipway said...

Good start to your holiday. I'm sure you've got better weather than we have here. Went to Cardiff to see John Bishop last night - cloudy , windy and wet. The show was fantastic though. Looking forward to reading the cruise blogs. Christine

Pollyanna said...

Steve, you make me feel like an absolute whimp, not wanting to go away on any holidays because it will be difficult. Mind you I don't have three young boys to entertain so I suppose it is a bit of a must for you.
I hope that you can enjoy at least some of it and not get too tired.xx