Friday 29 April 2011

Ventilation.... again

I had my appointment with the respiritory consultant yesterday (see previous posts for background ). Firstly I underwent the usual lung function tests and the results, along with those from the overnight oxymeter were uploaded for the consultant to see.


I already knew the oxymeter reading was fluctuating between 93 and 95 percent oxygen saturation both when lying down and sitting. This figure should be around 98 percent. If its below 90 then you have serious problems. The figure recorded yesterday was 97.5, so much better, however lung capacity had dropped to 1.65 from 2.4 five months ago and from over 4 three years ago.

However the consultant's response was one of little concern, saying that the figures were reassuring and in themselves would not indicate the need for ventilation. Part of me would have been happy to say "great, thanks very much" and left, but I was puzzled by her response.

Everyone's advice, including MND related consultants had always been, don't leave ventilation too late. Be prepared and don't wait for an emergency. Ventilation won't arrest the progression in respiritory decline but ventilation, even for a few hours a day can temporarily increase lung function when unassisted, allowing better coughing ability and reduce fatigue. And although it is generally agreed that the decision to ventilate should be driven by symptoms, not test results, it is also widely documented that lung capacity under 50 percent of normal is in the danger zone. I am now at 40 percent.

So for all of these reasons I perservered and it was agreed I could try it.

Although I didn't realistically expect to walk out there and then with my portable ventilation equipment and start using it immediately, I didn't expect to have to arrange an overnight hospital stay to set it up. And I really don't want to do it.

My overnight hospital stay when I had my feeding tube put in was awful and I don't expect any different this time and NOBODY understands why, so let me try and explain.

Having people with no knowledge of my care routine when I have to rely on eyegaze communication is very difficult.

Having familiar carers without any eyegaze communication is also very difficult

Having total strangers with no eyegaze communication is simply impossible.

I know that once out of my wheelchair, there will be no practical way of rigging up the eyegaze computer over the hospital bed, so I will become completely isolated. So how am I meant to communicate with anyone regarding necessary ventilation setup changes, or any other requirements. There won't be anybody monitoring the ventilation continuously. I know what will happen; somebody will change the settings based on inaccurate interpretation of my grunts and I will be left for an hour or more before they recheck. If I am uncomfortable in the meantime or can't swallow saliva I will have no way of removing the mask or calling them. They won't have anyone constantly monitoring me. It isn't like I have had some procedure and require medical resources on hand in case of complications. The purpose behind this is to adjust the pump settings for sleeping but the chances of sleep for the first night wearing a mask pumping air into me are negligable. Being on a general hospital ward is not going to help.

An overnight hospital stay is purely for the convenience of the hospital. I have suggested paying privately for a suitable nurse to stay overnight at home but it was dismissed as unworkable. Personally, other than the effort to arrange it I can't see any advantage of being in hospital and plenty of advantages of staying at home. It just seems that nobody is prepared to make the effort to arrange it. I will pursue it further but won't hold my breath (pun intentional)

Finally, hospitals are about the best place to catch something and frankly I want to avoid them.

.

4 comments:

Helen said...

Hello Steve, I have finally worked out how to sign in and it was simple so I don't know why I couldn't work it out before...
Just read your last post. I think you will have people who can advise you better than me but I know you can have ventilation set up at home with nurses monitoring overnight. Some nursing agencies don't want to do it and normal care agencies certainly won't. But I have seen it happen. The only thing is, I'm not sure whether it was set up firstly at home but the woman I am thinking of would have the same thoughts as you about going to hospital so I am guessing she would have insisted on it happening at home. She had agency nurses monitoring her during the night with her ventilator on... I'm sure it could happen if you find a nursing agency willing and they do exist.

Pollyanna said...

Steve
For goodness sake, what is the matter with these people? Even I would be exteremely unhappy to stay in hospital overnight and I can speak! I agree that the nurses have absolutely no idea as to what is required by MND patients. I was in hospital 2 years ago having pins out of my leg and it was awful. the nurses are useless and horrible and the physios have absolutely no knowledge of MND.
Fight for all you are worth. Glad your results re O2 are good though. Apparently my waking one is normal.
xx

Anonymous said...

Hi Steve,

Just read your last post and can understand why you would want to avoid the hospital stay. i am sure there must be a way of setting this up at home. I hope the advise from your friend regarding getting a nursing agency to help can be realised. I was also sad to hear your news from the Easter hols it must have been very upsetting. Hope to see you soon. Will text Tracy re coming over for a coffee in the next few week. Love Rachel xx

Flattie said...

Hi Steve, My wife , Jude, has a BIPAP machine which she has become more dependent on over the last year or so. Yes, they are invasive & take some getting used to but in the long run, they are wonderful. She actually gets a good nights sleep now. Hang in there...