Monday 3 September 2012

Dorset 2012

Just returned from our Dorset holiday and I am pleased I went. As previously, we went with my mum, sister, brother-in-law and nieces Alisha and Lauren (and my carer)

I probably enjoyed it more than last year because I had fairly low expectations after last year which was so disappointing after our first visit in 2010 when I still had indepenent mobility in my brilliant offroad wheelchair and some strength in my neck. Last year was just depressing! The new car definitely helped although the necessity for the farm owners to dig water run off ditches across the quarter mile track every 20 yards, was a twice daily ordeal for me and the underside of the car!

Other concerns had been regarding the hoisting and the suitability of the bed. At home I have been determined to keep using a standing hoist despite the best efforts of my occupational therapist and care agency to consign me to a full hoist. But we can't rent a standing hoist so I have to be fully hoisted for a week. This requires a different type of sling. Although I have these from previous holidays, The one for using with the toilet now needs a head support but the OT refused to fund it because she considered it unsuitable and suggested doing a 2 stage transfer via the bed. I pointed out that I would spend the entire day being transferred and had to fork out £160 to get the sling I wanted. It was perfectly suitable. I had also bought a wedge to raise the mattress for my head. It worked fine but I needed to make other alterations to allow me to push my feet against something. I had it right by the 4th night.



The weather was as disappointing as the rest of the this summer's. The days it didn't rain were still windy and cool, particularly on the coast. We had 3 days at various beaches but I found it difficult trying to keep warm with a constant bracing wind blowing, and any sheltered spots inaccessible to wheelchairs. We didn't manage to sit out in the evening either.


Saying all that, the boys had a great time and managed to get through their wish list; trailer tour of farm, nighttime wildlife safari (spotting badgers, deer and snakes), marshmallow bar-b-q, building a bonfire and going to the amusement arcade at Lyme Regis. We also managed a trip to the Haynes Motor Museum.






For me it was nice having everyone around and things to watch other than the garden.


.

3 comments:

Pollyanna said...

Fantastic Steve
I'm glad you enjoyed it
As you say - sure makes a change from staring at the garden!
I'm envious of you having a standing hoist. My OTs refuse to let me have one. Been fighting for 18mths!

Emma Alter said...

Good to hear you had a good time.
We went to Poland, the weather was a little better, but I think we missed the real summer. Saw some huge ships at Gdansk shipyards, the size of your cruiser last year, in dry dock, being mended!
Love to all, Emma

Anonymous said...

Hi Steve, Good to catch up with your news. I'm glad you got away inspite of the huge effort involved. We were close to you in Lyme Regis. Anna P