Monday 9 April 2012

Holidays, Wheelchairs and Automobiles

The new car arrived during March and conveniently coincided with the sale of the VW for which I got a reasonable price. I was quite proud of myself buying and selling the cars fairly independently using my eyes, with Tracy only having to be involved with test drives and handovers. The Fiat Doblo is a big improvement over the VW although I am still at the mercy of G-forces. I have been out several times including a fairly long run to the banger racing at Aldershot yesterday with my mate Stuart.


I am still in two minds about the Dorset holiday in August. The journey will undoubtedly be easier and the half mile pot holed track at the farm will be a little less tortuous but I will have to take my indoor wheelchair which is pretty hopeless on anything other than completely smooth ground. Anything else has to be traversed at a snails space. I am going to spend the whole time asking to be pulled up in my seat. Even the grounds immediately outside the cottage, particularly the sloping bumpy garden is going to be tricky. Factor in some bad weather and it doesn't get any more appealing. But then staying at home alone except for a live in carer isn't very appealing either. I just don't know.

The reason I will have to take the indoor wheelchair is that the Doblo won't accommodate the larger offroad wheelchair. I knew this was a limitation when we bought the car and I haven't used it for almost 6 months so in practice it was of little consequence. Having lost the option to take the offroad wheelchair anywhere I have reluctantly sold it. It was collected yesterday and it was depressing seeing it go. Apart from a couple of stressful flat tyre incidents, it was a massive part of my life during 2009 and 2010. I reckon I covered well over 1000 miles in it and it gave me independence and freedom; it was effectively part of me and I absolutely loved it. I had lost the ability to use it long before yesterday, but nontheless seeing it go still felt very sad. My world has contracted massively without it and although at the time, taking myself to hampton court or bushy park got a little monotonous I would give anything to still be able to do it.



.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad the new vehicle is up to scratch. I'm sure that the family would want you to go on the Dorset holiday. Even if you can't get out much it's better than being left at home. Love and thinking of you as always Christine

Anonymous said...

Have you started tweeting your blog yet? I have only just got into Twitter and have retweeted your recent entry.
Your blog is still excellent as always. I am sorry to hear you have now got rid of your offroad wheelchair but I agree with Christine and it's a change of scenery? Helen.

Rach said...

sad to see the old chair go, but well done on the new car Mr! Hope you got to see Joe yesterday ... love from us all, as always.

Sacerdoteuk said...

Sorry to hear that you are sad to part with your chair. As the chap that bought it I can understand why. Having this is one of the few high points of having MND. It's a fine piece of kit and I hope I can make as good a use of it as you obviously did. Cheers, Steve

Arthritis Relief said...

Indoor wheelchairs are indeed very helpful in moving from one place to another. Although it has its limitations, people like you can still use it easily for mobility purposes. And, consider pursuing your Dorset holiday. You will surely have fun!

Unknown said...

Holiday car rental has been appealing to seasoned travelers and lately has attracted younger travelers that want to explore places that are less travelled. Competitive holiday car rental rate helps travelers to save money and enable them to go to places less-travelled where ordinary holiday travelers are unable to explore

Scared of witches said...

Scared of witches? See how this boy dealt with a terrible witch one night at -http://bit.ly/BoyandtheWitch

Thomas Wright said...

I totally understand your feelings. It is really hard to let go of something valuable and important to us. But we have to consider the situation and let it go for practical reasons. And regarding the offroad wheelchair, I would suggest that you buy a vehicle that is designed for this use. A mobility van or car would be ideal for these instances.

Anonymous said...

I sit on a rubber car mat. I still slip but not all the time.