Tuesday 16 August 2011

Dorset - Saturday

Today we decided to stay around the farm and avoid driving. David the landowner is happy for everyone to explore the extensive acreage of the farm. A picnic was prepared and we headed to the field with the stream running through the woods; a great place for the boys to find all sorts of wildlife. We entered the field off the farm track but soon realised that I wouldn't be able to go further. I had made it down the sloping field last year but the bumpy terrain was too much. Having someone else drive the wheelchair over rough ground isn't an option. I need to 'feel' my way over ruts and bumps in order not to be shaken out of the chair, someone else can't do it. Also the steep slope would require the chair to be tilted at various points so wheelchair control would need to be switched between me and carer as the gradient changed. With eyegaze communication knocked out by the sunshine, I decided that it was going to be too great a challenge and returned to the house. Everyone returned a couple of hours later after sufficient wildlife had been caught. The rest of the day was spent at the cottage and after the boys decided that they wanted to camp, tents were put up in the garden. I had expected them to creep back in by 1am but they managed to stay out until 6.

2 comments:

Janet said...

Give me a nice comfy bed [ indoors ] anytime ! Impressed the lads made it that long sleeping in a tent-after such a nightmare of a journey I hope you and your family enjoy your stay at the farm.

Anonymous said...

I feel sorry for the wildlife! RV