Wednesday 15 August 2012

Back to reality

Readers of my blog will know my mixed opinions on Stephen Hawking but I have to give him credit for coping with living like this for 40 years. I reckon me and him are at comparable states of disability and have to endure the same day to day challenges but whereas he has spent 40 years becoming one of the world's leading scientists, I am struggling to maintain an appetite for life after 5 years. I don't mind that his intellect dwarves mine but I feel inadequate that increasingly frequently I consider throwing in the towel. Life isn't much more difficult than a year ago but it's just slowly wearing me down. The hours and hours of sitting alone in one place, the entrapment of being paralysed from the neck down, the immense frustration of not being able to talk, the boredom of not being able to eat or drink anything, the indignity of carers doing my personal care, the monotony of the identical daily routine confined by the carers hours, the stress of frequently changing carers, being excluded from 95% of family activities, I could list so many more. Regarding the first item, I am not having a dig at anyone because I don't expect people to sit with me. I would feel awkward, especially because I often don't have the energy to maintain a conversation. I guess I sometimes just want people around me, even if they were complete strangers I could at least watch life go by. Maybe strangers are preferable as I wouldn't feel any guilt that I have insufficient energy to interact with them.


I know that I should get sufficient enjoyment and satisfaction from seeing the boys grow up, but it isn't enough sometimes. And those sometimes are getting more commonplace. I feel awful admitting this but it's more of a reflection of the depths that this existence takes me rather than the boys.

I think that things have worsened in the last 3 months or so, because I don't have the energy to use the computer during the day (evenings seem better), but without the computer, life is just a continuous cycle of trying to swallow without choking and struggling to lift my head off my chest. The fact that the MND progression has almost plateaued for nearly two years is of little consolation and there are days when I wish it would just get on with it. The last few months have certainly got me thinking about the merits or otherwise of ventilation.

Strangely, I can remember when I was in my late teens, learning of Stephen Hawking and thinking "how the hell can anyone cope with living like that? ", blissfully unaware that 20 years later I would find out. But actually I still don't know the answer.


.




10 comments:

Rach said...

was thinking about you this morning. Worrying that perhaps the worst had happened. Then read this. And wondering whether, actually the worst HAS happened. Keep on that computer and keep writing Steve, because it MATTERS. It matters to us. It matters to the boys. It matters to anyone who stumbles across it, has only the vaguest idea what MND means. You matter.

pablo said...

Rach pointed me in this direction, glad she did, your words are moving and a reminder that we should savour each day.
Thank you for writing I agree with Rachels sentiments it is important as are you.

Paul

Beezone said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Beezone said...

Steve, I was sent the link to your blog by a friend. To paraphrase yourself I can't imagine how you cope, but from what I was told by my friend you brighten a lot of peoples lives. Reading your blog is inspirational, and a reality check. Please continue

Unknown said...

Hello Steve. I have read your blog and can see that you are having a really rough time. You are a very important member of your family and you need to be here for them and more importantly for your boys. They will always see you as their dad whatever the circumstances and they would rather have you here than god forbid somewhere else. Rachel guided me here to your blog and I have to say that you really are an inspiration to many of us who take life for granted. Stay strong and remember that your kids, family and close friends will always be with you no matter what! xxx The mind is always stronger than the body!

phil said...

Hey steve. Have just spent a good twenty minutes staring at the iPad trying to respond to your latest post. No witty (attempted) banter from me today. Your strength of character and resilience over the last few years have humbled me, and you are always in my thoughts..... rarely does a day go by when Laura or I don't check in on the blog, or more recently Facebook, and when shuffling off knackered to my bed late in the evening as I will shortly I often now think of your 3am lack of rest. 
I can only begin to imagine how tough this is for you (ok, not even begin, really) but echo what others have said- that you matter an awful lot, to us and to plenty of other people. 
I have no idea where you do find the will to keep on, or what alternatives you really have, but can only hope that you will perhaps experience some small upturn in one aspect of your life that makes things seem more bearable again.
phil

Christine said...

Hello Steve
I'm also meeting you via Rachel and have recently lost a brother-in-law and more distantly a father-in-law as a result of MND. Very little was known about it when my father-in-law was diagnosed, in fact i realised what it was before his own doctors did, and he refused to fight it. My brother-in-law was just the opposite and used every device and assistance available, managing to continue working to his last day. It's difficult knowing what to say as you are Rachel's friend and have no idea who i am, but i can echo other people's comments in encouraging you to continue getting your thoughts down. Although you can no longer tell your body what to do, your mind is free to go where it wants and you have thoughts and ideas which are unique, yours alone! Being able to share them is something only YOU can do, so i would encourage you to keep on as long as you have the strength to do so. Words can have everlasting power to change the world and affect peoples lives. With Kindest Regards - Cx

Judy Royal Glenn said...

Steve,

I am sorry for the emotional dilemma you are currently going through. We have no idea what it is like to go through the daily life of having ALS. I watched my mom battle with it is 2004. She lived each day the best she could.

The neat thing you do is come up with helpful inventions to make things easier for yourself. Maybe you could dive in to using your great know how to make life easier for those with ALS. There is no telling what all you could do.
~ Judy

Joanna said...

Hi Steve
I followed the link Rach posted & read with great admiration for you & your family.
I can't begin to conjure up how you feel, but I do know the loneliness of not being able to move, lift a hand or think. Gratefully I am now well but I remember the deep sense of loss when there seems no end to the un-life.
I am sorry you have this destroyer of life, so sorry.
I don't know what can be said to help lift you, how can I....
Your mind is tired but still full of memories of love, laughter & meaningful events. Your life has & does mean something, to a whole myriad of people & loved ones. You have put your mark on them & fill a hole in their lives. I know your mind will dwell & is at the moment in darkness, I just pray it will dwell on the happy times as this will lift you & your writing will develop & touch people in a way it never could before.
I send you all my best wishes & also to your family, please remember your blog can help us to understand this terrible condition & as much as it is very hard for you to write it will impact many & what changes that can bring!
Thank you Steve
Jo

Anonymous said...

Hi Steve,
You are doing a really great job and you should be really proud of yourself although I know you must have some really dark times.
I think about you a lot and am sorry that I dont drop you more messages, I will try harder. I remember with a huge amount of fondness of the banter we had over the years that you looked after out IT at Communicor and you were off course the main reason we stayed with the company, people are far more important.
Sorry if I am rambling a bit but I thought you should know how I felt about you during our business years.
My thoughts are with you on many days, I currently live in Portugal and dont get to the UK very often, however I may be taking a visit in the later half of this year and if you can bear it I wouldnt mind dropping in to sau hello, you dont really need to talk - no problem if you dont think it will be a good idea.
Take care Steve, you are extremely important to your familily and your boys will always find you inspirational.
Lots of love and a big hug.
Gary