Wednesday 23 November 2011

Battle Weary

I am really struggling with food at the moment or rather the lack of it. I haven't tasted anything other than toothpaste for 18 months now but for the last few weeks it's been particularly hard. Smelling cooking in the house and being near people eating aromatic food is really getting to me. In the scheme of things its actually fairly low on the list of losses; if I could regain something, speech, walking or the use of my arms would win every time but for some reason the inability to eat anything is frequently pissing me off. I am regularly tempted to get something pureed and attempt to eat it; how difficult can it be, I keep asking myself. But when I tried it a year ago, I ended up coughing and spluttering everywhere and it won't be any easier now.


The latest problem is waking up with mucus having accumulated on my chest, presumably from saliva being aspirated during sleep. My cough when lying down isn't strong enough to dislodge it , so I am worried that it will lead to a chest infection which would be seriously bad news. There is something called a cough assist machine which I guess I should investigate although it wouldn't help at 4-30am without someone to operate it. I have already given some thought to overnight care which I can't see anyway of avoiding when I start using ventilation, but it seems somewhat excessive at this stage. But this ineffective cough problem has been occuring for a week so I know I should tackle it rather than waiting until I get pneumonia.

My apathy for arranging yet more equipment and care is probably symptomatic of my often prevailing 'determination fatigue'. Being confined to inside the house by the cold weather doesn't help and the longer it goes on, the harder it becomes to make the effort to go out when the opportunity arises.
As I mentioned in a recent post, there hasn't been any dramatic changes this year and I imagine that the subtle changes aren't noticeable to anyone else leading them to think 'Steve's doing OK' and compared to the friends I have lost this year, I am. But life is far from OK, the immense effort to do anything other than sit and stare at the TV is slowly crushing me and the frustration experienced when eventually no amount of effort is sufficient to achieve something is soul destroying. Two months ago I would spend 45 minutes trying to turn on my side in bed, sometimes succeeding, others not. Now I have to lie on my back all night. I sometimes have to literally will my hand to move my hand 1mm to turn the wheelchair. But increasingly my carer has to drive me. It's so hard maintaining the will to fight when defeat has to be accepted constantly.

.

3 comments:

Janet said...

I recognize a lot of what you are saying [just looking at my brother ]-you both seem to be at a similar stage -to be fair you seem to be coping better-really wish I could do something to help x

Anonymous said...

Oh Steve, this thing is just so awful. Keep battling, keep fighting... We are thinking of you and the family so much. Anna P

Emma said...

hi Steve, (and Tracy)
I saw your Christmas round robin at Mum and Dad's and saw you were writing a blog, so thought I'd connect online.
Its nice to hear how you're doing even though it sounds pretty god-awful.

We're still in Manor House, Ian's at the BBC programming in the iplayer division, and I'm still doing my mixture of teaching, playing the viola and bowmaking.We spent Christmas in Canada with his family, and their family is probably as big as ours! So 2 days of the trip were in Calgary joining his Mum's family in their family yearly Curling competition, I helped my team come last (!) and seeing his Dad's side of the family too in a more stately version.

I was just in Torquay to see Andrea, Mum and Dad, as we didn't see them in the Christmas period this year. Dad was showing me old family photos- Dad with hair, Granny and Grandpa, and Ivan and Diana in their 20s, and all of us cousins in varying states of smallness!

If there's anything I can do, let me know.

with love,

Emma (Tracy's cousin)